of the Library
Patten brothers, George and John, were generous subscribers to the
Patten Library Association, which was founded in 1847. The subscription
library kept its collection in rented rooms and later a donated house
until Galen C. Moses gave $10,000 for the construction of a new library
building, with the stipulation that its use be free to all Bath
Construction began in
1889 on the new library, designed by George Harding, and was completed
in 1890, at a total cost of $15,000. An Open House was held January 1,
1891, for all to attend.
services were first offered in 1911 in the second floor tower room,
which had been previously occupied by the Sagadahoc Historical Society.
In 1961, through the generosity of Mildred Wright, a new
wing to the library offered its greatly expanded number of users a new
Children's Room, lobby, auditorium, and Reference Room.
A second major addition was completed in September 1998. It includes an
expanded children's and young adult's areas, nonfiction stacks, and a
new History & Genealogy Room. The original 1890's building was
volunteers choose books, based on a patron's reading
preference, from the large print or regular collections and deliver
those books to "shut-in" patrons at his/her home or residence facility.
Usually the same volunteer works with the patron on a regular basis and
performs the service approximately every other week or as needed. Call
the library for details at 443-5141.
Library's museum membership is available for Patten Free Library
patrons to use when visiting the Maine Maritime Museum. The pass
family per day free access to the museum. A family is
defined as 1 or 2 adults with children under the age of 18 who live
in the same household.
Reservations for use of a museum pass may be arranged one week in
advance of the date. Passes may be picked up from the Circulation Desk
2-3 days before the planned use. Call the Circulation Desk 443-5141 ext. 11 for
243 Washington Street
9:30am - 5:00pm