Sagadahoc History & Genealogy Room

Patten Free Library    33 Summer Street, Bath, Maine 04530 (207) 443-5141


A Brief History of Bath
 
Bath, Maine, was first known as Long Reach due to an 3-mile straight stretch of river that provided good anchorage and landing. The area was inhabited by the Red Paint People and the People of the Dawn (Abnaki of the Algonquian group) and visited by Vikings (ca.1011), fishermen, and European explorers, including Samuel de Champlain (1605). The first European settlers began arriving in 1640, but were driven out repeatedly by Indian conflicts until 1724. In 1738 Long Reach was included in the incorporation of Georgetown. The settlement on the west side of "the reach" became "Second Parish of Georgetown" in 1753, and then was incorporated as the town of Bath in 1781.

The name "Bath" was selected due to hopes of association with Bath, England, a small but famous, fashionable town undergoing a building boom of fabulous architecture, and perhaps also due to family connections of some of the leading citizens with that Old World city. Bath, Maine, received its city charter in 1847. Bath was in York County until 1760, then in Lincoln County until 1854, when Sagadahoc County was formed. Bath is now the seat of Sagadahoc County.

Shipbuilding and its related businesses and industries have been a mainstay in Bath since the mid-eighteenth century, and this heritage continues today at Bath Iron Works, one of the nation's leading shipbuilders for the U.S. Navy.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation presented Bath with its President's Award in 1977 in recognition of the city's restoration efforts. The historic district provides many examples of fine nineteenth century architecture and Front Street, with its brick walks and iron lamps, adds a touch of nostalgia to a pleasant small city shopping and dining experience.

The wide, swift flowing Kennebec River provides a beautiful backdrop to Waterfront Park along Commercial Street. A landing is provided for sea-going visitors and is within an easy walk to shops and restaurants on Front Street.

 


Return to Sagadahoc History & Genealogy Room Page


Contact:history@patten.lib.me.us

© Patten Free Library 2002-2007